Wednesday, December 19, 2012

the weary world rejoices

I'm a little addicted to Pinterest, and the only way I can rationalize it is that I actually do go back and try recipes or make crafts (at least some of them). This Christmas, inspired by a posting on Pinterest (I have no idea how to give proper credit to the original poster/creator, but know that a much more original and creative person than I am was the first to make something like this), I painted a canvas to rest behind our nativity scene.


We live, today, in a weary world. I probably don't need to detail the reasons why our world is tired, aching, troubled. My petty troubles pale in comparison to shooting rampages or issues of poverty, hunger, sexual exploitation, or any other number of sickening truths about our society. Does it ever seem that God is silent? Even though I believe in Jesus with my whole heart, there are moments when I wonder what is God doing? How can this happen? Where is he?

Go back 2,000 years and not much has changed. The world had forgotten God, the prophets had ceased speaking, ceased calling people back to faith. Silence. Pain. Trouble.

But it was into this world that Jesus was born. And there was much cause for rejoicing. God was not silent, he had not forgotten his people, his plan had been in motion all along, and now, finally it was time for the Prince of Peace to enter the scene.

The weary world rejoices!

I think that at it's heart, the celebration of Christmas must be about Jesus stepping into the darkness of our lives.

He steps into the hard places, he enters the loneliness, the injustice, the pain, and he says "Here I am."

This has hit me even more powerfully after the events in Connecticut. It is only because of Jesus entering in, Emmanuel, God with us, that I can have hope. This Christmas, I want so much to teach my children that this season is about remembering and celebrating that we do not need to remain in the weary world without a Shepherd to guide us.

He came, and the world rejoiced.

He comes to you still, and still the world has cause to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment