Friday, August 3, 2012

a glimpse of the Father's heart

Luke 15: 20-24
The younger son got up and started back to his father. But when he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt sorry for him. He ran to his son and hugged and kissed him. The son said, “Father, I have sinned against God in heaven and against you. I am no longer good enough to be called your son.” But his father said to the servants, “Hurry and bring the best clothes and put them on him. Give him a ring for his finger and sandals for his feet. Get the best calf and prepare it, so we can eat and celebrate. This son of mine was dead, but has now come back to life. He was lost and has now been found.”

And they began to celebrate.

This afternoon I stood in the driveway and waved good-bye to my 2 1/2 year old and husband. A camping trip was just not something this 35 weeks pregnant mommy could do, so it's a daddy-daughter weekend trip, with me joining just for the day on Saturday. I haven't had a weekend to myself like this in at least 3 years, and while I've been anticipating the freedom, and leisure, the sleeping in (oh, the sleeping in!), my heart caught in my throat as I watched them drive away, praying safety and protection, joy and good memories over them.

I missed the bright presence of my daughter almost immediately, and was glad to have things I wanted to do that took me out of the house for the first part of the day. It's too big and empty without them here, something is so obviously missing.

How must the Father's heart break when His children turn away?

No wonder the father in Luke 15 saw his lost son returning home, even while he was still a long way off. He'd never stopped waiting, hoping, praying, anticipating the joyous return of his child.

Whether we wander for years or our hearts stray only momentarily, God the Father is just waiting to celebrate our return to His embrace.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Sara!

    I just stumbled upon your blog while looking at Telia's! I got caught up in the most current posting (this one) and the cute face at the bottom that I had to keep reading and began reading past posts. I am so honored to know you! Your words are so inspiring. God is working through you and you are allowing him to do that. Thank you for your reminders and insightful thoughts! God bless you as you get ready for baby #2! It is a tough road and so tiring, but as you know, it is well worth it!
    -Mikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mikki! Thank you so much. I've been shy about sharing the existence of this blog, only dozen people even know about it, so I am honored you wanted to read it. :) Thank you for your encouragement! We're excited to see what God has next for our growing family!
      Sara

      Delete