Sunday, July 29, 2012

when God shows up

If you've been in church for any number of years, I imagine you've experienced some Sunday worship services that send your heart soaring with love and thankfulness. I also imagine that you have sat through plenty of services where instead of focusing on the words of the songs, the depth of the sermon, you're planning the schedule for the week, worrying over various big or small life circumstances, or, let's be honest, catching up on facebook. Don't deny it - I've been there.

Today was one of those Sundays where my mind was prone to wandering. I have a very (stress, very) amateur musical background, and I know just enough about worship, church practices, and theology to make me dangerously critical when I get in that mood. I'm not proud of it. It is just is. I try hard to bury it, but sometimes it creeps out.

We attend a small church. Most of the time, I love that. We don't have a lot of show, if you know what I mean. No fancy lights, no huge worship band, nothing that shouts of trying to create an emotional high that ushers people into God's presence. I am an occasional vocalist for our worship team, and while we have some amazing and talented musicians, we're pretty humble.

Whatever place I was in this morning did not lead me to embrace the humility of our little band of Jesus followers.

But you know what? God showed up.

In the midst of the congregation's hesitant (read - less than enthusiastic) response to the singing, a few sort of awkward moments, there was a stirring of hearts, a swelling of voices raised to the King. A testimony was shared, a young man moved to share about something God was doing in his life. Our pastor spontaneously adapted sermon plans and prayer times to make room for God's work. It was that thing that you can only describe as the sense that God was moving. He was there, in our midst. The Spirit of God descending on people who had gathered to declare their love and praise to Him. I found myself experiencing the grace of those moments, laid bare a bit for my judgment and hard-heartedness.

Micah 6:8 is fast becoming a favorite verse, as it crops up here and there: "He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"

He does not require a fancy church service to draw people to Him. He does not require loud worship. He does not require a charismatic sermon filled with pithy one-liners.

He requires a people with hearts lifted to Him, ready to anticipate His movement in their lives and in the world. Ready to respond with love and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment