Tuesday, July 24, 2012

freedom

Ironically, ever since I sent that email to my girlfriends who have also embarked in the 7 experiment, there has been huge relief flooding over me. And, even more ironically, the relief led to an incredibly productive weekend, including a thorough examination of the possessions in our home and a resulting pile of boxes to sell at our church garage sale benefiting an orphanage in Haiti. Before sending that email, I was a mess of guilt for "not doing enough". I was the kind of mess that brings confusion to the beautiful assurance of Matthew 11:28-30: If you are tired from carrying heavy burdens, come to me and I will give you rest. Take the yoke I give you. Put it on your shoulders and learn from me. I am gentle and humble, and you will find rest. This yoke is easy to bear, and this burden is light.

My legalistic, perfectionist self has a hard time letting go of the letter of the law sometimes. The list of shoulds and supposed tos is too tempting; a recipe for success to follow as I meander through life. But I cling to it too closely. With 7, I was expecting myself to tackle the project the way the author of the book did - which was wonderful and impacting for her. But for me in this season? It was draining me of any energy I had to really ponder the spirit of simplifying life in such a way that Jesus can be magnified. As a wonderful friend reminded me, none of it was really ever about 7, but about living together, learning, and loving Jesus more.

That I can do, in this and every season.

No comments:

Post a Comment